This Blueberry Almond Crumble Pie starts with a tender, flaky pie all butter pie crust lined with rich almond paste that adds flavor depth and creates a barrier for preventing a soggy bottom. The pie bursts with fresh blueberry filling topped with a crisp and textural almond crumble topping.
- 1 disk pie dough (*I suggest my All Butter Vodka Pie Dough)
ALMOND CRUMBLE TOPPING
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (- cold & cut into 1/2" cubes)
- 10 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 medium lemon (- zested & juiced)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 7 ounces log of almond paste
- 1 large egg
SHAPING PIE DOUGH SHELL
- Remove dough disk from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for about 20 to 30 minutes, until it begins to soften. It should soften just enough to leave a thumbprint indention in the top.
*If using frozen dough, either allow to first defrost in the freezer overnight or for 2 hours at room temperature on the counter.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the disk into an 11" round about ⅛” – ¼” thick. Carefully roll the dough round around the rolling pin, then unroll it over a 9" round pie dish. Press it down into the base of the pie dish, leaving a 1" overhang all the way around. Trim the edges evenly, then tuck the overhanging edge underneath itself and press to form an even ring around the edge of the pie dish.
- Finish the edges in any design you like. For a scalloped edge, use a rounded bottom measuring spoon to shape the scallops. Lightly dip the back of the spoon into flour, then gently yet firmly press the back of the spoon into the dough, bracing the edge with your thumb and index finger. Repeat around the entire edge of the dough to create a scalloped edge all the way around.
- Place the entire pie shell in the freezer to chill while you prepare the crumble top and filling.
ALMOND CRUMBLE TOPPING
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Use your hands to smush the butter into the other ingredients until coarse crumbles the size of peas form. Place in the freezer or refrigerator to chill.
- Add 2 cups of blueberries to a large mixing bowl and use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon to smash the berries until thick and jammy. Add the remaining blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. Stir to combine. Allow to sit for a few minutes until some of the juices start to release from the berries.
- Strain about 1/4 cup of the juices into a small bowl and add the tapioca flour or cornstarch. Whisk together into smooth slurry, adding more juice if necessary. Pour the slurry back into the blueberry mixture and toss to combine. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
COMBINING & BAKING THE PIE
- Divide the almond paste log in half. Gently flatten each half into round disks. Use a rolling pin, roll one round to the size of the inner pie plate base, about 7". Roll the second round into a 9" round. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg together with 1 teaspoon of water to make an egg wash. Remove the frozen pie shell from the freezer. Use a pasty brush to apply the egg wash all of the bottom surface, up the interior sides and along the scalloped edge of the pie shell.
- Line the bottom of the pie shell with the smaller, 7" almond paste round. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the blueberry filling into the pie shell, forming a slight mound in the center. Top with the second, larger 9" round of almond paste. Then finish by topping the pie with the chilled Almond Crumble topping.
- Place the entire pie in the freezer for at least 20-30 minutes to firm up while the oven preheats. This will help the pie maintain the integrity of it's shape as it bakes.
*At this stage, you can freeze the entire pie for up to 3 months. Once it's firmed up for a few minutes in the freezer, carefully wrap the pie with a few layers of plastic wrap and an outer layer of foil.
- While the pie is chilling, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the chilled pie on a baking sheet in the center to lower half of the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F, uncovered.
- Lower the oven temperature to 375° F. Then carefully tent the pie with foil to prevent over-browning and bake for 55-70 minutes, until the filling has thickened and is bubbly and it's golden brown and crisp on top.
*If baking from fully frozen, the pie may take an additional 15+ minutes to fully bake.
- Allow the pie to cool a minimum of 2 hours before slicing, I know this is hard. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for an extra delicious experience!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: pie
Keywords: all butter pie dough, Blueberry Almond Crumble Pie, Blueberry Pie, fruit pie, Pie