A quick and easy pizza dough that mixes together by hand in minutes, proofs up in less than 2 hours and stretches out like a dream. 00 Flour gives the dough dimension and bakes up with an airy yet chewy texture. This pizza dough serves as the perfect base for your favorite pizza toppings, Stromboli stuffings or calzone fillings.
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour (+ more if needed)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm at 105° F-110°F
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- a pinch sugar
- Combine lukewarm water at 105° F-110°F and sugar in a small bowl, stir together. Sprinkle with yeast and allow to stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Gradually pour in the yeast mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to make a rough dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for at least 6-8 minutes, until the dough becomes smooth and elastic, dusting with more flour if necessary.
- Divide the dough into 2, 3 or 4 equal portions for large, medium or small pizzas.
- Place one portion on a clean surface, lift and fold two sides into center like an envelope. Gently pressing with your fingers to seal the dough. Rotate 90° and fold 2 sides into center again, continue this process until a rough ball is formed. Place the smooth side into your palm and tightly pinch dough to seal with a seam. Place seam side down on the counter and gently roll between your hands slightly presssing into the surface to build tension and form a tight boule. Repeat with remaining dough(s).
- Brush 2, 3 or 4 medium or large bowls with olive oil, add a dough boule to each and turn to lightly coat with the oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a damp, clean kitchen towel. Set aside at room temperature until doubled in size, about 90 minutes up to 2 hours. To slow the rise dough, place in the refigerator once the dough is shaped and allow it to chill up to overnight. Then remove from the fridge to finish the rise at room temperature before shaping. It should take about 90 minutes to 2 hours to rise.
- Now you are ready to rock and shape that pizza dough into a canvas for any pizza, calzone or Stromboli creations!