Every year I buy too much Halloween candy. Nobody comes by until 10 pm when 2 teenagers wearing Superman tee shirts and dollar store masks show up holding out king-sized pillowcases expecting armfuls of candy. I always give them most of the haul, but save a bit with the hope that adorable pint-sized pumpkins and itty bitty Batmen show up. They never do. Do kids even Trick or Treat anymore?
Cut to Dia de los Muertos and I’ve got a bucket of unwanted candy and nowhere to put it. We pick at it, casually eating up the good stuff over the course of days/weeks until the sight of candy makes our tummies turn. I finally break down and send it packing to the lost land where unwanted Halloween candy goes to die, my husband’s office. There, it’s thrown into a giant bowl with the rest of the rejects and goes untouched until finally, in early December, some brave soul finally tosses out the mountain of unwanted Tootsie Rolls and candy corn.
This year, to help wean you off the Halloween candy haunting your house, I’ve come up with a healthy alternative. These Date Almond Coconut Protein Balls taste like an indulgent candy bar, but they are far from it. These power balls start with a base of sticky medjool dates and crunchy almonds, pulverized together in a food processor. Unsweetened coconut, unsweetened cocoa powder, flax seeds, sea salt and almond extract add flavor and texture and make them the best energy balls around!
Then a powerful punch of Bob’s Red Mill Protein Powder gets mixed into the Date Almond Coconut Protein Balls making them extra hearty and sustaining. I used the Chai flavored powder, it’s filled with protein, fiber and probiotics! This power powder is made from pea protein and lots of other good-loving, body-rocking ingredients. Alternatively, you could swap out for the Vanilla or Chocolate flavor protein powder too. The choice is up to you, my friend.
These Date Almond Coconut Protein Balls are loaded with energizing ingredients to get you up and moving and I personally think they are the best energy balls I’ve made to date! Just one Date Almond Coconut Protein Balls and you’ll have all the power you need to get your butt to the gym and melt away all of those fun-sized candy bars.
- Medjool Dates: 2 1/2 cups, pitted
- raw almonds - 1 cup
- Bob's Red Mill Protein Powder - 1/2 cup
- unsweetened, shredded coconut - 1 cup
- unsweetened cocoa powder - 1/4 cup
- flaxseeds - 1/4 cup
- almond extract - 1/2 teaspoon
- sea salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Combine almonds and 1 tablespoon of Bob's Red Mill Protein Powder in a food processor. Pulse until the almonds are coarsely ground. Remove 3 tablespoons and set aside.
- Add the pitted Medjool dates, protein powder, 1/2 cup of the coconut, cocoa powder, flax seeds, almond extract, and sea salt to the food processor.
- Pulse to combine, then use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides. Continue to blend the mixture for a minute or two, until the mixture is sticky and blended.
- Use a 2 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to measure and roll each scoop into a smooth ball.
- Roll each ball in the remaining coconut to coat and garnish with a small sprinkle of the ground almonds.
- Serve and store in the refrigerator.
- Store the Date Almond Coconut Protein Balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.