This recipe for Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies has been a long time coming. I first started developing these babies months ago. I brought them to a friend's birthday party and they were a huge hit! However, I wasn't totally sold on them yet. something was missing and they weren't quite ready. So I kept testing, got super busy with other projects and then finally finalized the recipe. My goal was to roll them out for Negroni Week, that definitely didn't happen.
These Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies were inspired by Negroni Week.
So, let's just say these Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies were inspired by Negroni Week and next year we'll be ready to celebrate with cookies in hand. In the meantime, we can bake batch after batch of these bittersweet, melt in your mouth, pretty in pink shortbread cookies.
Shortbread Cookies are a baking basic that rely on simple ingredients.
- Start with a solid base. These cutie cookies begin with my simple Shortbread Cookie recipe. It's an easy slice and bake cookie shortbread cookie with rich buttery and warm vanilla notes. The perfect cookie base to begin with.
- Quality is key. A basic shortbread cookie recipe needs only flour, butter, sugar and salt. So the quality of ingredients really matter here.
- Butter makes it better. Using a high quality European style butter with a higher fat content will result in melt in your mouth, buttery cookies that are irresistible.
- Pure Vanilla flavor. Again, because the ingredients are minimal, the quality really comes through in a shortbread cookies. Using Pure Vanilla Extract will give these cookies that deep and comforting real vanilla flavor throughout.
I've been calling these Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies adult orange creamsicle cookies since my first bite.
These creamy, buttery, vanilla laced cookie base gets an unexpected pop of brightness and a dose of adulthood. It's such a fun twist on a basic. By adding just a few interesting ingredients, the whole spirit of a simple shortbread cookie transforms.
Basic shortbread cookies take on a bittersweet pink persona with a few fun ingredients.
- Fresh orange zest and juice give these shortbread cookies their creamsicle qualities. By adding fresh orange zest to the shortbread cookie dough, they are imbued with brightness. That vibrant flavor is carried through in the orange Campari glaze as well.
- Campari counteracts that nostalgic creamsicle spirit with a dose of adulthood. The pleasant, yet bracingly bittersweet bite of Campari glimmers in both the cookie dough and the glaze. The Campari adds a uniquely layered complexity to the otherwise simple shortbread cookies. It also gives the Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies their signature sweet soft pink color.
- Sparkling sugar adds extra dazzle to the cookies by providing a crunchy sweetness against the smooth Campari glaze.
Even if it took me months to get this recipe up the blog, this recipe for Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies was worth the wait. They are easy as can be, an absolutely gorgeous color and have a refined taste, reserved just for adults. Sorry kids, you can stick with my Mini Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes or my Lucky Charms Treat Smore's! But these Glazed Campari Shortbread Cookies for us adults. And we've earned them.