When life feels chaotic and uncertain, nothing takes the edge off quite like fresh baked cookies. I've been traveling and life has been busy! But knowing that I will I have a log of Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies stashed away in my freezer is helping to ease my stress.
My go-to comfort cookie has been my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt for as long as I can remember. They are a tried and true favorite that you just can’t go wrong with. Last month, on a whim, I created these Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies to send to my Mom for Mother’s Day. She’s a big fan of citrus and chocolate so I used the grapefruit and combined it with the half bag of dark chocolate chips.
Complimentary ingredients give these Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies big flavor and texture personality.
- High quality butter give shortbread cookies their signature butter flavor and snappy bite. Using a European style butter with a higher fat content makes for a superior flavor and texture in this simple cookie recipe.
- Dark chocolate brings a bittersweet bite and elegant richness to the buttery cookies.
- Fresh grapefruit zest and juice pack a double punch of citrusy brightness. It balances beautifully with the rich butter and deep chocolate flavors.
- Flaky sea salt punches through the chocolate and citrus by adding a burst of briney saltiness that allows the other flavors to sing in unison.
These Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies are a simple slice and bake cookie recipe.
The shortbread cookie recipe came together flawlessly. It was as effortlessly easy and the flavor and texture combo ended up being a 5 star surprise straight out of the gate. The simple yet unexpected flavor combination is a delightful deviation from a typical chocolate chip cookie.
The chocolate gets chopped for a more nuanced flavor and texture throughout.
These Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies are small so I didn’t want to use whole chocolate chips or solid chunks of chocolate. Chopping the dark chocolate chips into small hunks, bits, shards and dust gives the cookies a more nuanced chocolatey flavor. Plus it layers in an interesting texture throughout the cookie. It’s funny how making one small change like that can completely upgrade the whole personality of a cookie.
Slice and Bake Cookies are the best for many reasons!
- Simplicity. Slice and bake shortbread cookies are such an easy baker. You just mix up the dough and shape it into logs. No scoops or cookie cutters necessary.
- Slice is nice. Once the dough logs are chilled, you simple slice them into perfectly round cookies.
- Totally tubular tip! To achieve perfectly round shortbread cookies, shape the dough into logs and wrap in parchment paper. Then keep them perfectly round sliding them into an empty paper towel roll. This will help keep the dough log from flattening out on the bottom!
- Easy bake. Then you pop those sliced shortbread cookies on a baking sheet and away they go!
- Keep it chill. Store the dough logs wrapped in tightly in parchment paper plastic wrap in the freezer up to a few months. Then you can just slice and bake them whenever you want freshly baked shortbread cookies. So you’re always less than 20 minutes away from fresh baked cookie bliss.
These Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies have that perfectly balanced bite. They’re crisp yet tender with the tiniest bit of chew.
When I originally baked these shortbread cookies, I didn’t intend for them to be a blog worthy recipe. However, I posted a pic with a pretty detailed description on Instagram and people were much more intrigued that I thought. It seems that pairing grapefruit and chocolate was a total mind blower for many of you! Who knew?!
The combo of chocolate and grapefruit with a salty sprinkle is a naturally balanced flavor fit!
The chocolate nooks, streams and speckles along with the faint citrus notes of the grapefruit were just asking to be topped off with a salty punch. All of that comes together to give the simple buttery shortbread cookie base some serious pizzazz.
These easy chocolate chunk cookies quickly shot to the top of my go-to cookie chart. It seems like now I’ve always got a tube of the cookie Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies dough in my freezer. Nestled alongside my classic Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt, of course.
The promise of fresh baked cookies tonight after slipped into the comfort of my own couch is calming my flight nerves better than 2 mini bottles of Jack Daniel's ever could. I’ve got my tray table in the locked position. My carry-on items are securely stowed. And I am patiently seated in the upright position awaiting a soft landing into a fresh baked pile of these Salted Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Shortbread Cookies.