This Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette was supposed to be a Carrot Cake Ginger Loaf but when it ended up looking like a 70’s era meatloaf straight out of your G-Ma’s oven. Although it tasted great, it felt like a lie. I’d never lie to you and that’s a fact. Now I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that. That’s a reference to the rock theater star Meatloaf and his 1993 smash hit “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” for all of you youngsters out there. You know what, ignore that…it wasn’t really worth mentioning. On the other hand, Meatloaf’s character Bob, in the movie Fight Club is definitely worth bringing up.
My loaf had a disconnect between the visual and the flavor, it looked like meat but it tasted like sweet. I tried every trick in my book to turn that beast into a beauty, but the loaf really put up a fight. it was a solid fail. And the first rule of failed recipes is, you do not talk about failed recipes.
I can’t tell you how terribly frustrating it is when you waste hours on a project only to have it come out looking less than appetizing. This happens more often than you’d think, sadly some foods just don’t look as good as they taste. On the flipside, I’ve had some recipes come out looking like glossed up, sexy cover models but unfortunately they were lacking depth of character and just didn’t make the cut. The second rule of failed recipes is, you do not talk about failed recipes.
But the fight wasn’t over, I had to get back in action and develop a new idea. And so, this Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette was created; out of struggle, frustration and a slightly bruised ego.
Truth be told, the golden hued, market fresh carrots are the winners of this fight, as they pop in color and flavor against the warm buttery pastry. I boosted the recipe for this Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette with one of my go-to flavor enhancers, the Herby Feta Sauce from my recipe for Feta Brined Chicken Skewers with Herby Feta Sauce. I’m just gonna tell you right now, that stuff wins every damn time.
With the natural sweetness of the roasted carrots against the super savory herby feta sauce, this recipe for Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette packs a double punch of flavor depth. Then the whole deal is baked in a rustic, hand formed, buttery bed of my classic All Butter Vodka Pie Dough recipe with the addition of freshly ground black peppercorns for punch of warmth. Once this Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette is baked up, I like to top it with extra crumbles of fresh feta, grassy fresh herbs and a sprinkle of sesame seeds for a subtle nutty crunch.
As frustrating as it was to lose the first round to that mock meatloaf, I fell in love with the power punching flavors of this Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette, and I would do anything for love.
This carrot recipe was developed for a collaboration between a super talented crew of food bloggers. Be sure to check out the #24carrotgoals hashtag on Instagram for all kinds of carrot inspo and visit the hot links to this big ol’ blogger collab & their lovely instagram accounts at the bottom of this post.Print
Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 8
A sweet rainbow of carrots shine bright in this beautiful galette with a zesty, herby feta sauce baked in a warm peppered, all butter pie crust. Finished with salty feta crumbles, fresh herbs & crunchy sesame seeds.
ALL BUTTER VODKA PIE DOUGH
- 1 disk all butter vodka pie dough (https://bakingthegoods.com/2014/01/17/butter-vodka-pie-dough-recipe/)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
HERBY FETA SAUCE
- 1 cup fresh feta cheese (-loosely crumbled)
- 1 whole lemon (-freshly squeezed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (-roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (-roughly chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (-freshly ground)
- 2 lbs small rainbow carrots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (-freshly ground)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (-chopped)
- 1 tablespoons fresh dill (-chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
ALL BUTTER VODKA PIE DOUGH
- Prepare my recipe for All Butter Vodka Pie Dough and add 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper to the dry ingredients before mixing.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into a large rectangle 1/4″ thick, about 12″-14″ by 8″-10″ wide. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Wash and slice the carrots in half or thirds lengthwise, depending on the thickness. They should be about 1/2″ thick.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the carrots just start to brown and soften. Allow to cool on the baking sheet.
HERBY FETA SAUCE
- Combine garlic, lemon juice and olive oil together in a food processor. Pulse together until the garlic is sufficiently crushed. Add the feta cheese, herbs and black pepper, pulse until smooth. Set aside.
ASSEMBLE & BAKE
- Warm oven to 375° F. Spread the herby feta sauce on top of the rolled galette dough in an even layer, leaving a 1 1/2″ – 2″ border all the way around. Align the cooled, roasted carrots on top of the feta sauce at an angle with the skinny points towards the center. Add the remaining carrots in a second layer.
- Gently fold the galette dough overhang up and over the edges of the carrots. Brush the edges with a whisked egg.
- Bake on the lined baking sheet for 35-45 minutes (rotating the pan halfway through the bake time) until the pastry edges are golden and flaky.
- Allow to cool slightly, then top with crumbled feta, sesame seeds and fresh herbs. Slice into 8 wedges and serve.
This recipe for Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette features two of my tried & true recipes:
The Herby Feta Sauce from my recipe for Feta Brined Chicken with Herby Feta Sauce
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
#24CARROTGOALS COLLABORATOR RECIPES
Square Meal Round Table’s Rainbow Carrot and Ricotta Tart
The Cooking of Joy’s Candied Carrot Rose Tart
Better with Biscuits’ Carrot Souffle
This Healthy Table’s Beet and Carrot Galette
Always Eat Dessert’s Carrot Cake Squares with Orange Glaze
Figs & Flour’s Thai Peanut Pizza
Fufu’s Kitchen’s Oven Baked Carrot Fries Drizzled with a Tahini Sauce
Flours in Your Hair’s Carrot Pecan Cookies
Hola Jalapeño’s Roasted Carrots with Chipotle-Honey Butter
Worth Pause’s Paleo Thai Curry Carrot Soup
Something New for Dinner’s Minted Sous Vide Carrots with Balsamic Vinegar and Goat Cheese
What Great Grandma Ate’s Paleo Carrot Mug Cake
More Icing Than Cake’s Spiced Quinoa & Roasted Carrot Salad
Hot Dishing It Out’s Vegan Carrot Whoopie Pies
Katie Bird Bakes’ Carrot Cake Scones
Confetti Kitchen’s Harissa-Roasted Carrots with Lentils and Yogurt
Easy and Delish’s Carrot Spaghetti
Pie Girl Bakes’ Five Spice Carrot Bundt Cakes with Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze
Smoothies and Sundaes’ Carrot Cake Sourdough
Zestful Kitchen’s Moroccan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Food by Mars’ Paleo Carrot Walnut Loaf Cake
Cosette’s Kitchen’s Sumac Carrot and Feta Salad
Measuring Cups Optionals’ Carrot Curry Soup
Rezel Kealoha’s Turkish Yogurt Carrot Dip
Pies and Prejudice’s Carrot Pie with Maple & Cardamom
Amanda Skrip’s Rainbow Roasted Carrots with Citrus Fennel + Arugula
Baking The Goods’ Roasted Carrot & Herby Feta Galette
Marianne Cooks’ Carrot and Zucchini Mini Muffins with a Cinnamon Frosting
Rumbly in My Tumbly’s Chai Carrot Pie
Cook Til Delicious’ Mini Carrot Cake
What Annie’s Eating’s Roasted Carrots with Herby Carrot Top Salsa Verde
It’s a Veg World After All’s Zesty Sunflower Carrot Spirals
Butter Loves Company’s Iced Carrot Cake Cookies
Le Petit Eats’ Carrot Cake Breakfast Bars w/ Maple Coconut Icing
Smart in the Kitchen’s Curried Carrot Ginger Soup (Whole30)
Cocoa and Salt’s Classic Carrot Cake
Dirty Whisk’s Carrot and Herbed Ricotta Tart
A Modest Feast’s Pomegranate-Molasses-Glazed Carrots With Crispy Chickpeas and Feta
Lemon Thyme and Ginger’s Sweet n’ Spicy Herbed Carrots
Jessie Sheehan Bakes’ Chocolate Carrot Loaf Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
Prickly Fresh’s Carrot Cake Blondies with Cream Cheese Frosting Carrot Cake Blondies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Lady and Larder’s Carrot Crudite Board with Z’atar Hummus
Prickly Fresh’s Carrot Cake Blondies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Suburban Pie and Treat’s Carrot Pineapple Raisin Pie
Hello Flour’s Macro-Friendly Carrot/Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese
Flotte Lotte’s Carrot Apple Pie
Pizanna’s Vegan Carrot Birthday Cake
Mom’s Kitchen Handbook’s Salad with Miso Ginger Carrot Dressing
What’s Karen Cooking’s Spiced Cornbread w/ Carrots, Pecans & Chili Butter
Feed the Swimmers’ Air Fried Rainbow Carrot Chips with Tzatziki
Blossom to Stem’s Caramelized Carrots with Fennel, Ricotta, and Walnuts
Been There Tried It’s Carrot Latkes with Cranberry Aioli (Paleo)
Farm and Coast Cookery’s Carrot & Herbed Ricotta Phyllo Tart
Seed and Mill’s Carrot Cake with Tahini Caramel Frosting
All That I'm Eating says
This sounds delicious and it looks fantastic! Love the sound of the herb mix that goes under the carrots.
Thanks so much! That herby feta sauce is insanely delish, I use it on everything! My favorite is to use it on chicken like this: https://bakingthegoods.com/2017/07/06/feta-brined-chicken-skewers-with-herby-feta-sauce/ Sooooo yummy! 😀