These simple and elegant Broiled Orange Whipped Ricotta Toasts feature bright and juicy broiled citrus with toasty comfort. Thick slabs of grilled artisan bread and topped in sweet whipped ricotta, crunchy raw almonds, fresh mint & briny sea salt flakes.
When we think of toast, it can be a little, well, milquetoast. Pretty plain without a whole lot of character to speak of. But, it's easy to take toast up a notch by adding some interesting ingredients or techniques. Take my easy and exciting Cinnamon Toast Brûlée, for example. It's a basic buttered Cinnamon Toast situation that transforms into an elegant dish with a little added heat.
A simple toast with the most elegance
This Broiled Orange Whipped Ricotta Toasts recipe takes things a little bit further by broiling oranges and adding in some creamy whipped ricotta, nuts and salt. The ingredients are basic and it's not a complicated recipe. But wow, is it spectacular.
Feeling somewhat enlightened by an oldie but a goodie on the blog, my Broiled Grapefruit with Brown Sugar and Sea Salt was the topping inspiration for this toast. I love that Broiled Grapefruit but sometimes I need a bit more oomph in my breakfast.
Simple ingredients shine bright in these Broiled Orange Whipped Ricotta Toasts
- Bright and colorful slices of Cara Cara and Blood Oranges bring sunshine to this recipe.
- Thick slices of grilled artisan bread serve as a sturdy and chewy base.
- A thick smear of whipped vanilla and honey scented ricotta add creamy and sweet indulgence.
- Raw almonds add a welcome crunchy topping.
- Mint sprigs bring freshness.
- Sea salt flakes add a briny burst of brightness to the mix.
While the almonds, mint and sea salt flakes are optional, they really elevate the whole experience. However, if you don't have fresh mint lying around, don't let that prevent you from experiencing this beautiful toast. Consider other nuts or herbs if you prefer. Walnuts would be wonderful. Some rosemary would be a nice touch. This Broiled Orange Whipped Ricotta Toasts can be easily adapted.
This Orange Ricotta Toast comes together in a 5 easy steps
- Step 1 - Whip the ricotta together with the honey and vanilla until smooth and airy.
- Step 2 - Slice and grill or toast the bread slabs to desired toastiness levels.
- Step 3 - Peel and slice the oranges. It's very helpful to use a Mandolin for even thickness in slices.
- Step 4 - Brush the orange slices with honey and broil for 3-5 minutes until the honey begins to bubble up and caramelize.
- Step 5 - Assemble the toasts by spreading the the whipped ricotta onto the toast, layer on the broiled oranges, top with chopped raw almonds, mint sprigs and sea salt flakes.
When the oranges are brushed with honey and broiled they become so much more than the sum of their parts. The intense heat of the broiler summons out new depth in flavor. Deepening the the natural sweetness while rounding out the tartness of the oranges. Broiling citrus is a genius move when you want to elevate a simple dish.
These Orange Ricotta Toasts are as fresh as they are comforting. The perfect start to a new day. That the crusty toast against the smooth and creamy whipped ricotta is a textural dream. Then adding the sweet tartness of the broiled grapefruit adds juicy complexity.