This easy Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée recipe is nutritious comfort with a flair of decadence. Heart healthy oats team up with fiber rich prunes and apples, plus protein packed pistachios in this sustaining and flavor filled breakfast bake. Date syrup, spices and a crackly brûlée crust make this one bowl baked oatmeal an indulgent celebration.
An easy baked oatmeal recipe to feed the whole house
Holiday entertaining often means big, filling meals with turkey, dinner rolls and all of the trimmings. There are oversized snack board spreads followed by pies or cookies. All great things, especially during the celebratory months. This Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée is rooted in the entertaining spirit. However, it hits on an often overlooked holiday meal, breakfast.
This simple to make baked oatmeal recipe comes together in minutes. It only uses 1 bowl and one skillet. And this oatmeal will feed your whole house with a hearty, delicious and healthful breakfast.
Prune power is real
By incorporating prunes into your daily diet, you are benefiting from numerous added nutrients and antioxidants. It can be as easy as eating a few prunes a day. But, you can also get creative. Try my Spiced Prune Coffee Cake for a hearty breakfast bake that pairs perfectly with a morning cup of coffee. Or power through the holiday season with these nourishing, delicious Prune Almond Energy Balls.
Serve this Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée as a holiday recovery breakfast
Since this Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée is packed with health benefits, it makes for the perfect holiday recovery breakfast. But, it still tastes comforting and feels special. Oatmeal can be pretty boring. However, the ingredients in this easy baked oatmeal add dimension in both flavor and texture.
Prunes contain many health benefits
- Good for the gut - Soluble and insoluble fiber in prunes help maintain good digestive health.
- Ample antioxidants - Polyphenols in prunes act as antioxidants.
- Sugar low - Prunes are low on the glycemic index and contain no added sugar, so they are a great natural sweetener!
- Bones about it - Boron, potassium, and Vitamin K in prunes help support bone health.
Prunes are dried plums
Did you know that? This humble dried fruit has a subtle sweetness and an undeniably decadent bite. As they bake in the oatmeal, they soak up the almond milk turning the prunes from chewy to a tender and silky texture. They almost melt into the oatmeal as it bakes. Imbuing the baked oats with jammy, natural sweetness.
Filled with healthy ingredients
- California Prunes - They are such a great source of fiber. A smart way to start the day the morning after a big holiday meal.
- Apples - Naturally sweet and delicious. Apples are a solid source of the fiber pectin and antioxidants. A lot of those goodies are found in the skin, so we leave the peel on in this baked oatmeal recipe.
- Rolled Oats - A great source of dietary fiber that helps you feel fuller longer. Rolled oats have more soluble fiber than any other grain! So they can help control blood sugar levels.
- Almond Milk or Whole Milk are both great options. If you are looking for a dairy-free base that's still creamy and contains calcium and those "good fats", Almond Milk is for you. Whole Milk does a body good with loads of nutrients and calcium richness. It's all about personal preference here.
- Pistachios - These little wonder nuts are full of protein, antioxidants, nutrients and fiber. Plus they add a lovely pop of color and a welcome crunchy texture to the baked oatmeal. Feel free to swap in almonds, walnuts or pecans if you prefer.
- Date Syrup - Dense in nutrients like potassium, magnesium, fiber and antioxidants. Plus, dates register low on the glycemic index so they produce a more slowly sustained increase in blood glucose. AKA, no sugar spikes.
Flavor morsels add decadence to this baked oatmeal
- Spices - A mix of cinnamon, cardamom and ginger perfume this Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée. But you can swap in a mix of whatever spices warm you up!
- Date Syrup - That natural, molasses like sweetness blends into the oatmeal giving it a kiss of natural sweetness throughout.
- Granulated Sugar - This is what gives the Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée it's signature, crackly, crunchy top coating. While not a healthy ingredient, the brûléed sugar top is the cherry on top of this oatmeal. Giving it a bonus of shatteringly satisfying sweetness and a cause for celebration.
Dial in the decadence of this baked oatmeal recipe to your preference
Depending on your mood, you can dial in the decadence of this baked oatmeal recipe by making simple changes. Make this Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée gluten free or vegan by adjusting ingredients accordingly. Lean more indulgent with whole milk. Or add a drizzle of heavy cream, a pat of butter and stream on some maple syrup when serving. It's all up to you!
4 simple steps
- Prep the skillet by greasing it with butter, alternative butter or cooking spray & preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a single mixing bowl & pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake the oatmeal mix for 40-ish minutes.
- Brûlée the top! Once the baked oatmeal comes out of the oven, simply top with the sugar and use a culinary torch to brûlée the top.
Think of the Brûlée moment as a celebratory production!
The crackly brûlée crust brings the party to the Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée. This moment offers an opportunity to gather everyone in the kitchen together. Magically turning the simple sugar into a caramelized, crunchy topping generally reserved for dessert.
Nourishing comfort is what this Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée is all about
Finding that balance of nutritious healthy ingredients and a rewarding bit of indulgence is the at the core of this Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée. It's a special recipe that contains warming comfort spices, hearty sustenance but still dabbles into the indulgent world of crave-ability.
Baking up a skillet of this easy Baked Prune Apple Oatmeal Brûlée for your family is a gesture of love. Not only are you providing nourishment, but also an unforgettable entertaining experience. What better gift during the holiday season?
This post was proudly made in partnership with California Prunes . All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting me and the brands that I love. Follow @caprunes on Instagram to learn more about the health benefits of California Prunes and discover new recipes!Print